Super Bowl Sunday is always a fun day to get together with friends to root on your favorite team. Of course this year is different. Large groups are not allowed to gather because of Covid-19. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have a good time and do it safely. If you’re hosting a super bowl party or going out-think small. Only invite or go to a place where there are people in your “bubble.”
Going Out For The Big Game?
Keep the Hits on the field … Not on the road.
Just One More?
If you are headed out to enjoy the game. Consumption of alcoholic beverages is usually associated with the Super Bowl. Impaired driving is a serious problem with serious consequences. Don’t ruin your Super Bowl night by becoming another statistic-moderation is key. But, besides drinking, who wins and who loses the game can also play a role in vehicle collisions.
- Automobile crashes climb more than 40 percent in the hours after the Super Bowl, with the surge highest in the losing team’s home state, perhaps because heartbroken fans are obsessing over the defeat and not concentrating on their driving, researchers suggested in a University of Toronto study.
- The consequences of your Super Bowl celebration can not only be deadly, but they can also be expensive. Drunk drivers face jail time, the loss of their driver’s license, higher insurance rates, and many other unanticipated expenses, including attorney’s fees, court costs, and lost wages due to time off from work. The average DUI costs approximately $10,000.
Have your game plan ready by figuring out your transportation options in advance, consider a:
Designated Driver – Have a friend declare they are the designated driver for the night.
Ridesharing Services– Arrange a pick-up time with the service in advance to make sure you have a ride home. Masks must be worn by both drivers and passengers.
Public Transportation – If available, let public transportation take you to/from your Super Bowl destination. Plan out your transit scheduled trips in advance. Masks are also required.
Community Rides – If available, use your community’s sober ride program.
Private Shuttles – A number of social clubs and night spots provide shuttle services to and from their establishment. Make it your destination if the service is available.
Walk – But remember, walking impaired can also be dangerous. Designate a sober friend to walk home with you.
Why Go Out!
Stay home in your warm cozy home and consider hosting (or attending) a virtual Super Bowl game party. According to Darren Rovell, a survey from Seton Hall Sports Poll found that 64% of individuals don’t plan on “gathering with people that live outside of their homes for the Super Bowl” between the Chiefs and Buccaneers.
This doesn’t mean staying home alone watching the game without your friends, has to be lonely. Why not host a Zoom Super Bowl Party!
Send out an invite to your friends. Let them know there will be game time activities.
Get Your Snacks Ready And Get Ready To Play Games With Your Zoom Buddies
Here Are Some Ideas
- Guess who wins the game and the total points scored.
- Super bowl bingo (Some of the usual advertisers are not buying ads this year, so research who’ll be on before making up your cards)
- Super Bowl Trivia (Research the internet for questions)
- Super Bowl Commercial Rating (Have your friends score commercials (1-10) and compare after the game as to the top commercials based on the best score)
Oh, and watch the game between the Zoom games. You’ll have a great time and no need to worry about drinking and driving!
Be safe no matter if you go out or stay in. Enjoy the annual event and festivities surrounding Super Bowl 55 and looking forward to a Covid-19 free Super Bowl 56.