August 21st is National Senior Citizen’s Day. It was instituted in 1988 to raise awareness about issues affecting seniors. Let’s celebrate with tips on spending time with seniors.
First, in Denmark, where cycling is a big part of the culture, they even found a way to get seniors with mobility issues on a bike—the Cycling Without Age nonprofit partners with nursing homes and senior care facilities to offer seniors bike rides. Seniors can enjoy trishaw rides given by volunteers or family members. These rides provide an opportunity to socialize and spend time in nature. The impact has been significant, and participants reported their mood and outlook on life were up by 80 percent. You can read the full story here. The idea is also gaining traction in the US. There are no chapters in our area for now, but you can check the progress here. While a trishaw may not be an option, we have a few other ideas to help you celebrate the day:
- Give a senior a call or visit them.
- Go for a bike ride with an active senior, you know.
- Go for a walk. Walking is a great way to socialize and include physical activity daily.
- If they do not drive – tell them about RideProvide or gift them RideProvide trips. RideProvide is Greater Mercer TMA’s transportation program in Mercer County, Plainsboro, and the southern portion of Montgomery, NJ.
- Start a family history project – share photos, create an album, include some stories and family recipes, or create a video.
- Check for special discounts and promotions at stores and restaurants and take them out for a shopping trip and a meal.
- Offer to help with some yard work or mowing the lawn.
We hope you have a wonderful day and bring joy to a senior’s life!