The 2015 AAA report estimates that 41.9 million people will be traveling during the July 4th weekend, a slight increase from last year. Gas prices are still lower than in previous years and many of these people, over 80%, will be travelling by car. AAA also estimates a large number of people will be opting for air travel and public transit. During this 4th of July holiday public transit comes with many choices and special deals for those planning a getaway or just seeing the fireworks.
Check out some of these options for your holiday travel:
- NJ Transit offers bus and train passes to the Jersey Shore, schedules and details available here
- NJ Transit early Getaway schedule available here
- NJ Transit service to Macy’s Fireworks on the Hudson River is available here
- Amtrak Getaway offers available here
- Amtrak also offers a number of special scheduled trains for those who want to see the July 4th Fireworks in NYC and Philadelphia available here
- Septa’s late night schedule is available here
- Path will be operating on a Saturday schedule, details available here
Bike shares are another way to get around in places like NYC, Princeton, and Philadelphia, and available in the following places:
A great tool for anyone traveling, our traffic alerts for Mercer County and Ocean County are always available at www.gmtma.org and can be accessed on your mobile device (just not while you are driving).
Stay safe and enjoy your Holiday Weekend!