Instead of taking the bus or driving to school today, you will likely see more students walking to and from school. It’s part of Walk to School Day, a global event where communities from over 40 countries walk and bike to school. Some schools promote walking to school, others work in physical education classes to teach students the benefits of walking.
Learn more about the day, who is participating in your area, and register for this year’s event at www.walkbiketoschool.org. And note that even if you’re not doing an activity today, you can still register your event that happens any time during the month of October. So there’s still time to organize and register an event! Contact GMTMA for information and assistance.
Why Walk or Bike to School?
Walking and biking is a great way to get to school. Using their feet or a bicycle can make students stronger and healthier, and give them more independence. Walking and biking can have positive effects on your life, your community, and the world. Here are some reasons to walk or bicycle to school:
- Get Exercise: Walking and biking to school is a great opportunity for children (and adults!) to get the physical activity they need.
- Get Outdoors: Walking and biking to school is a great way to get outside and enjoy New Jersey’s fabulous Fall weather!
- Help the Environment: Replacing car trips with walking or bicycling can reduce emissions, making the air cleaner and letting your community breathe easier.
- Make Your Community a Better Place: Walking and biking to school can help reduce congestion. More people out on their bikes or walking, and fewer people in cars helps make your neighborhood safer, quieter, and friendlier. Get to know your neighbors and your neighborhood on a bike or on foot.
- It’s Fun: Most importantly, walking and biking to school is fun! It can be a great way for parents to spend more time with their children or for students to start their day off on a high note by having fun with their friends before even getting to school
How to get Started
The best way to get started with planning Walk and Bike to School Month activities is to contact Greater Mercer TMA. Here at GMTMA we are ready, willing and able to offer advice and assistance with kicking off programs in communities all over Ocean and Mercer County. Contact us today at 609-452-1491 or email us at email@example.com.
Keep the Fun Coming!
Walk and Bike to School month is a great time to plan fun and exciting walk and bike to school events in your community, but why stop there? Communities and schools can use Walk and Bike to School Month as a kick-off toward changing community culture and creating better options for getting around that are safer, healthier, and more inviting for everyone, both young and old. Greater Mercer TMA can not only help with walk and bike to school events, but can also assist you with:
- walking school bus programs,
- youth bicycle and pedestrian education,
- school travel plans,
- surveys that provide evaluation and feedback on local programs,
- a variety of other exciting programming.
To see how GMTMA can help you to make the trip school safer, healthier and more fun in your community, contact us today at 609-452-1491 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.