Greater Mercer TMA’s (GMTMA) ninth annual Safe Routes to School Bookmark Design contest is now underway. The contest is open to Mercer and Ocean County students in third through fifth grade are eligible to show their ideas to create a safe community for walking or biking to school by creating a bookmark for the contest with the theme “Walking and biking are fun to do. What do you do to keep it safe too?”
Throughout the year GMTMA works with schools to encourage students to walk and bike to school where it is safe to do so and help communities identify solutions to improve the areas where it is not safe. The annual bookmark contest is just one-way GMTMA works to raise awareness of biking and waking safety and inspire children to think creatively about their surroundings.
SRTS programs bring a wide range of benefits to students and the community by:
- Increasing the health and mobility of school-age children
- Reducing congestion, air pollution and traffic conflict around schools
- Establishing healthy lifetime habits for students
- Increasing children’s independence
- Helping children arrive at school ready to learn
- Teaching safe pedestrian, bicyclist, and driver skills
The deadline for bookmark submissions is April 13, 2022. Entry forms are available here or by emailing email@example.com. Winners will receive a $50 gift card alongside bookmark printing!
Click here to download the entry form.