Only a few days left until Thanksgiving and AAA predicts another record travel volume. More than 55 million people will be travelling for Thanksgiving, and most of them will be driving. You will need a lot of patience and some planning to get to your destination safe and in time for dinner.
According to AAA the worst day to travel is Wednesday before Thanksgiving. If you travel before Wednesday, check the weather before you hit the road; there is a good chance for rain and snow in some areas.
If you are not planning to travel for Thanksgiving this year, planning to go see the Parade, or want to avoid being stuck in traffic, here are the Thanksgiving transit schedules:
NJ Transit RAIL
November 27 – Early getaway service
Thanksgiving Day – Weekend service
Riverline – Will operate on a Sunday schedule
NJ Transit BUS
Day before Thanksgiving, November 27 – weekday schedule
600, 601, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 613 – Sunday schedule;
603, 610, 611,612, 619, 624 – No service
Day after Thanksgiving, November 29
600, 607, 608, 624 – Holiday schedule;
409, 601, 603, 605, 606, 609, 613, 619 – Saturday schedule;
610 – no service;
418, 611, 612 – weekday service
Thursday | Thanksgiving Day – Thanksgiving Parade: Buses, Trains, and Trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule due to the holiday
Friday: City Transit Routes will operate on a Modified Weekday schedule
Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 28,
- Journal Square-33 Street (via Hoboken) and Newark-World Trade Center lines in service.
Day after Thanksgiving – Friday, November 29
- Modified Weekday Schedule*
- All 4 lines operate on a 10-minute schedule during daytime and early evening hours.
AIRPORT INFO – status reports and delays info
COACHBUS 100 & 300 – will operate on a Sunday schedule
ROUTE 130 – no service on Thanksgiving Day
FREEB – no service on Thanksgiving Day.
MEGABUS – operates on Thanksgiving Day
Mercer County TRADE – not operating on Thanksgiving Day
ZLine, ZLine2, ZLine3 – schedules available here
Tiger Transit – operates on a modified schedule from Nov. 27 to Nov. 29 https://transportation.princeton.edu/options/tigertransit
East Windsor Shuttle – no service on Thanksgiving Day
No service on Thursday, November 28 Thanksgiving Day
If you will be driving, here are a few safety tips:
- Get plenty of rest before you start your trip
- Make sure that everyone is buckled up
- Keep your focus on the road, and don’t drive distracted
- Expect traffic and be patient
- Make sure your car is ready, tires inflated, windshield wipers work, have a tune-up before you plan to travel
- Check the weather, road and traffic conditions
- Keep a first aid kit in your car
- Carry an emergency kit in case of inclement weather, flashlight, bottled water, blankets, food, flares, snow shovel, jumper cables, ice scraper
From all of us at GMTMA – Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones!