It looks like the roads will be very busy this Thanksgiving weekend. The 2015 AAA report predicts that 46.9 million people will be traveling this Thanksgiving weekend. This represents an increase compared to last year and the highest level in seven years. Gas prices are at their lowest level since 2008 so driving is expected to be the most popular mode of travel. AAA also predicts a decrease in in other modes of transportation such as trains and buses.
If you plan to drive this Thanksgiving weekend here are some safety tips:
- Get plenty of rest before you start your trip
- Make sure that everyone is buckled up.
- Keep your focus on the road, and don’t drive distracted
- Expect traffic and be patient.
- Make sure your car is ready, tires inflated, windshield wipers work, have a tune-up before you plan to travel
- Check the weather, road and traffic conditions
- Keep a first aid kit in your car
- Carry an emergency kit in case of inclement weather, flashlight, bottled water, blankets, food, flares, snow shovel, jumper cables, ice scraper.
- Carry a portable phone charger in case you run out of battery and your car breaks down
If you are planning to travel by train or bus, these are the Thanksgiving schedules:
Northeast Corridor Rail will be operating on Weekend/Holidays Schedule. Rail Schedule available here.
Mercer County Bus Service
The following buses will operate on a Sunday Schedule: 600, 601, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, and 613.
There will be no service on: 603, 610, 611, 612, 619, and 624 buses.
Will not operate on Thursday, November 26 : Thanksgiving Day and Friday, November 27 Thanksgiving Friday
Riverline will operate on a Sunday Schedule .
Thursday, November 26: Thanksgiving Day – Thanksgiving Parade
Regional Rail, City, and Suburban Transit will operate on a Sunday/Holiday schedule
Routes 204, 205, 310, 312, and 316 will not operate
Friday, November 27: Black Friday
City Transit will operate on a Modified Weekday Schedule
Frontier, Victory Divisions, and the Norristown High Speed Line will operate on a Modified Weekday schedule
SEPTA schedules available here.
Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 26, 2015, Saturday Schedule
Day after Thanksgiving – Friday, November 27, 2015, Modified Weekday Schedule
PATH schedules available here.
Tickets, schedules, and alerts on your mobile phone
- PATHAlerts on Twitter
- PATHAlerts receive cell phone or e-mail notifications of incidents or events that may delay your trip on PATH
- Newark Liberty Airport or on Twitter @NY_NJAirports
- Philadelphia International Airport or on Twitter @PHLAirport
Happy and Safe Thanksgiving !