September is healthy aging month and good mobility is a critical aspect of healthy living!
Most of us recognize that poor health can affect a person’s ability to get around easily. Less attention though has been given to the fact that mobility affects health and well-being. Access to transportation for seniors is closely tied to their quality of life.
Did you know:
- 21% of seniors no longer drive
- Non-drivers make 15% fewer trips to the doctor
- 59% fewer shopping trips
- 65% fewer trips for social, family and religious activities
We all need to have the ability to stay connected to our communities, healthcare, shopping and social opportunities. Healthy aging depends on it!
How to help yourself or the seniors in your life:
- Encourage everyone to keep walking. Maintaining mobility is a lot easier than regaining mobility.
- Promote Complete Streets in your town so that safe walking is possible.
- Keep driving skills sharp by signing up for a driver refresher course through AARP.
- Learn how to use public transportation. It will be much easier to “put down the keys” if it should become necessary. Contact GMTMA to learn about our travel training classes.
- Learn about senior ride services like TRADEand RideProvide in Mercer County and Ocean Ride in Ocean County.
- Advocate for improved transportation options for seniors.
- Have a positive attitude!