The 2016 AAA report estimates that close to 43 million people will be traveling during the July 4th weekend, the highest number on record. Gas prices are still lower than in previous years and many, over 84%, will be traveling by car. AAA also estimates a large number of people will be opting for air travel or other options. During this 4th of July holiday public transit comes with many choices and special deals for those planning a getaway or just seeing the fireworks.
Check out some of these options for your holiday travel:
- NJ Transit offers bus and train passes to the Jersey Shore, schedules and details available here
- NJ Transit early getaway service for July 1st info available here
- SEPTA’s Independence Day service information is available here
- PATH will be operating on a Saturday schedule, details available here
- Princeton’s FreeB bus service will not run on July 4th.
Bike shares are another way to get around in places like Princeton, New York City, and Philadelphia:
- Zipcar locations and rates available here
- Enterprise Carshare locations and rates available here
- Car2go is available in NYC, details here
And with all those people on the road, you might find our traffic alerts for Mercer County and Ocean County useful. You can find it at www.gmtma.org and can be accessed on your mobile device (just not while you are driving).
If you didn’t make any plans yet, check out where you can see fireworks throughout the state.
Stay safe and enjoy your Holiday Weekend!