October is International Walk to School Month, and October 3 is National Walk to School Day. Greater Mercer TMA is working to get as many schools in our region involved in these great events which give children, parents, and teachers an opportunity to celebrate the many benefits of walking to school.
There are many reasons to participate — safer and more accessible streets , healthier habits, and cleaner air to name just a few. Join in! Greater Mercer TMA is the Safe Routes to School coordinator for Mercer and Ocean Counties, and we will help you get an event off the ground!
Why Hold a Walk to School Day Event?
- Encourage physical activity
- Teach kids how to walk safety
- Raise awareness of how walkable your community is
- Raise concern for the environment
- Reduce crime
- Reduce traffic congestion, pollution, and speed near schools
Fun Walk to School activities:
- Develop a walking theme for a walk: crazy hair day; healthy lunch day; costume day, etc.
- Get a local “celebrity” (mayor, police officer, etc.) to come speak to the students
- Set up a competition with awards for the classes with the most walkers
- Organize a walking school bus from nearby neighborhoods
- Hold an educational assembly with guest speakers
- Give out awards for the class with the most walkers
Choose to celebrate a day, week, or the entire month!
If you’re in Mercer or Ocean Counties, Greater Mercer TMA can help you get a program started and get your program registered at www.walkbiketoschool.org.
Contact us at email@example.com or 609-452-1491 — we’ll get you walking!