Bike Month is here and so far we have enjoyed really nice weather. Let’s hope the weather will be nice during Bike to Work Week as well. For those of you who are planning to bike to work or thought about it and don’t know where to start, we put together a list of things you need.
- A bike that fits right and has a comfortable saddle; bike shops are best able to fit your bike to you.
- A route you are comfortable with. Choose roads with bike lanes and slower moving traffic when possible. You can find biking maps on our websiteor Google bike maps.
- Comfortable clothing– if you have a short commute (under 5 miles) you could ride in your work clothes. Just go at a reasonable speed, adjust your gears depending on the terrain (you can push yourself on the way back from work if you want a little workout). If you can, leave some clothes at the office to make sure you always look your best. If not here are some tips: If you do not have a shower at work you could get some Action Wipes, they will do the trick.
- Invest in a pannier you can put you bag/backpack in so you do not have to carry it. This is both practical and important for your safety since your hands won’t be busy holding things.
- Plan ahead and learn what to carry with you just in case –Spare tubes and tools and know how to change a tire. You can learn here .
- If your office does not have a safe storage spot for your bike, here’s somebike locking advice .
And last but not least – safety tips:
- Follow all the rules of the road, including riding with traffic and stopping for signs and signals
- Be predictable and signal your intentions to others – point right or left for turning, hand down for stopping
- Be ready to stop at driveways
- Make yourself visible, wear bright colors, something reflective, have a white light in the front of your bike and a red light on the back, mirrors, and bell
- Wear a helmet
Be safe and have fun! And remember if you have questions or you need help choosing a route, you can always contact us .
And don’t forget to register for bike to work week, log your miles, and share your pictures and your experiences with us.