Fall is here, the weather is nice and it is really pleasant to take a walk outside. Besides, the leaves are starting to change color which makes for a great view. Whether you take a walk during your lunch break, before or after work, or to and from work, walking is great way to increase your daily physical activity. And since sitting has been deemed the “new smoking”, the more you walk, the better your health.
- Walking is the most popular form of exercise in the U.S.
- To burn off a plain M&M candy, you would need to walk the length of a football field.
- The average human walking speed is 3.1 miles per hour.
- A typical pair of tennis shoes last for 500 miles of walking.
- Less than 50% of Americans exercise enough to see significant health benefits.
- Walking 6,000 steps a day will help improve your health and walking 10,000 will help you lose weight.
- A person walks 65,000 miles in their lifetime – that’s equivalent to walking three times around the earth.
- Walking increases blood flow to the brain and improves your mood.
- Walking for 10 miles every week would eliminate 500 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions a year.
- Walking an extra 20 minutes a day will burn 7 pounds of body fat per year.
Enjoy the weather, enjoy the view and stay safe!