The 2017 AAA report is out and it looks like a record number of people will be travelling this Independence Day. More than 85% (37.5 million) of you will take advantage of the extended weekend and choose to drive to your destination.
With so many people on the road, here are some summer driving tips to get you safely to your destination:
- Get your car serviced before you go
- Pack an emergency roadside kit
- Buckle up, do not drive distracted or impaired
- Stay alert, stop and rest if you feel tired
- Don’t forget to check the car before you lock it, don’t leave your children or pets unattended in a parked vehicle
You can find a detailed summer driving tips list here.
During the 4th of July holiday public transit comes with many choices and special deals for those planning a getaway or just seeing the fireworks.
Check out some of these options for your holiday travel:
- NJ Transit offers bus and train passes to the Jersey Shore, schedules and details available here
- NJ Transit early Getaway schedule available here
- Amtrak latest offers available here
- SEPTA’s late night schedule to the Ben Franklin Fireworks is available here
- PATH will be operating on a Saturday schedule, details available here
Bike shares are another way to get around in places like NYC, Princeton, and Philadelphia, and available in the following places:
- Zipcar locations and rates available here
- Car2go is only available in NY,details here
- Enterprise Carshare available in Philadelphia, details here
A great tool for anyone traveling, our traffic alerts for Mercer County and Ocean County are always available at www.gmtma.org and can be accessed on your mobile device (just not while you are driving).
If you didn’t make any plans yet, here is what’s happening in Mercer County and in Ocean County.
Stay safe and enjoy your Holiday Weekend!