Do you go the extra mile to help your employees get to work? Do you sponsor programs that help reduce traffic and improve air quality? Do you reward employees who walk or bike to work? If you offer commuter benefits to employees you may qualify for the New Jersey Smart Workplaces (NJSW) awards.
Applications are now being accepted for the 2019 NJSW awards. NJSW recognizes and honors employers who help reduce traffic congestion and improve air quality by providing commuter benefits to employees. Employers of all sizes are eligible to apply. Applying is easy and chances are that employers already provide some of the things that qualify them for this designation. Employers are recognized at one of four levels of achievement: bronze, silver, gold or platinum based upon the programs offered at the worksite.
There are no costs associated with this prestigious designation and all awardees will be featured on our website and recognized at Greater Mercer TMA’s Annual Luncheon in November.
These are some of the things we are looking for:
- Establish and maintain a relationship with a local Transportation Management Association (TMA).
- Designate an on-site point of contact for employee commute inquiries.
- Place alternative commute information in new-hire packets. (Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive alternative commute information)
- Encourage employees to register for TMA traffic alerts or 511NJ.org or disseminate traffic alerts to your employees.
- Provide access to a site-specific commuter information display.
- Host or sponsor TMA events/programs such as National Bike to Work Month, National Walk Month, Car Free Week, or Distracted Driving Awareness Week at the worksite.
- Host two or more on-site vanpool/carpool formation meetings.
- Provide a designated outdoor bicycle parking area or an appropriate indoor area.
- Provide employees access to basic bike maintenance tools.
- Provide preferential parking for vanpoolers or carpoolers.
- Offer a formal flextime program.
- Offer a formal telecommuting program.
- Offer a formal compressed workweek policy.
- Provide pretax payroll deductions for commuting cost for employees (vanpool, transit and/or bicycle commuters).
- Provide Emergency Ride Home for employees who have exceeded the maximum number of TMA-provided rides.
- Provide on-site amenities such as food service, dry cleaner, ATM/bank, sundries or showers.
- Provide an employer-subsidized shuttle.
- Provide electric vehicles for employee business use.
- Provide electric vehicles and charging stations for employee use.
These are only a few of the things to look, for more information and application, go to https://gmtma.org/nj-smart-workplaces/. If you are not sure you qualify or you have questions about the program, please contact us at email@example.com.
The program is a partnership of the North Jersey Transportation Planning Association and the state’s Transportation Management Associations (TMAs). Greater Mercer TMA is the program’s coordinator in Mercer and Ocean counties.