The AAA report is out and it looks like a record number of people will be travelling this Thanksgiving weekend, 50.9 million to be more exact. With so many people on the roads we wanted to share a few driving safety tips and other helpful information regarding public transit and area airports.
If you plan to drive this Thanksgiving weekend here are some safety tips:
- Get plenty of rest before you start your trip
- Make sure that everyone is buckled up
- Keep your focus on the road, and don’t drive distracted
- Expect traffic and be patient
- Make sure your car is ready, tires inflated, windshield wipers work, have a tune-up before you plan to travel
- Check the weather, road and traffic conditions
- Keep a first aid kit in your car
- Carry an emergency kit in case of inclement weather, flashlight, bottled water, blankets, food, flares, snow shovel, jumper cables, ice scraper
If you are planning to travel by train or bus, these are the Thanksgiving schedules:
Northeast Corridor Rail will be operating on Weekend/Holidays Schedule. Rail Schedule available here.
Mercer County Bus Service
The following buses will operate on a Sunday Schedule: 600, 601, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, and 613.
There will be no service on 611, 612 will operate on weekday schedule, 619 on Saturday schedule, and 624 on Holiday schedule.
NJ Transit bus schedules are available here.
NJ Transit early getaway service information available here.
FreeB Commuter and FreeB Neighborhood will not operate on Thanksgiving Day
Will not operate on Thursday, November 23 Thanksgiving Day
Riverline will operate on a Sunday Schedule.
Thanksgiving Day – Thanksgiving Parade
Buses, Trains, and Trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule due to the holiday
City Transit Routes will operate on a Modified Weekday schedule Friday, November 24
SEPTA schedules available here.
Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 23, 2017
Journal Square-33 Street (via Hoboken) and Newark-World Trade Center lines in service.
Day after Thanksgiving – Friday, November 24, 2017
Modified Weekday Schedule*
All 4 lines operate on a 10-minute schedule during daytime and early evening hours.
PATH schedules available here.
Special Northeast Thanksgiving schedules available here.